Learn how to make a hemp bracelet with this video tutorial. Tweens, teens, and adults will love creating this spiral type of friendship bracelet. Use a basic knot to create this amazing Chinese Staircase technique. Then give them away as handmade gifts or wear them to school!
This hemp bracelet tutorial is a fun friendship bracelet pattern that uses beads. Watch the video or follow the step-by-step instructions to learn how to make one.
Bracelets are a great craft for kids of all ages. They are perfect for tweens because they can make their own and then give all the cute crafts to their friends.
This beautiful bracelet design uses the forward knot the whole way, which naturally creates a spiral. We also added colorful beads to give them a bit of bling.
Hemp was one of the more popular materials for jewelry when we were teens and it’s making a comeback. Wearing them gives you a bit of a bohemian look.
The bracelet in this tutorial has a beginner skill level. Once you have mastered it, try this candy stripe bracelet for more of a challenge.
Or, if you want a necklace instead, check out this hemp choker.
You can use this bracelet craft in several ways.
- Give them to a good friend as friendship bracelets.
- Hang them from your backpacks
- Use them as colorful gift wrap ribbons.
- Pass them out as handmade Valentines.
- Make them at a sleepover.
- Create them during a summer road trip.
- Braid them as a summer camp activity.
- Make them during an elementary school class party
- Create them in bulk and sell them at craft fairs
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Knots used in this friendship bracelet
To create this bracelet you should be familiar with the forward knot.
If you are not comfortable with this technique, head over to our basic friendship bracelet knots tutorials. There you will learn 5 of the basic bracelet knots including the backward knot and square knots.
No time to make this bracelet with beads? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
I always like to start with more hemp than I think I will need. It is hard working with hemp if the strings get too small.
Ways to secure hemp jewelry while you’re making them
To get really good results, you want to make sure that the bracelet is secure while you’re creating the knots. Here are a few ideas for securing your string.
- Use a binder clip to secure it to a flat surface.
- Place a pillow on your lap and safety pin the floss to the pillow.
- Clip the hemp onto a clipboard.
- Use a piece of tape to secure it to your work surface.
Hemp Chinese staircase bracelet
Follow along with this beginner level hemp bracelet tutorial. All you need to know is one knot!
- Button - I like the ones with the hole on the back.
- Clipboard or Safety Pin (for holding your bracelet in place while working)
- Measure out 2 strings of hemp. One should be able to wrap your wrist 4 times with a little extra. The second is about 12".
- Create a loop at the top of your 12" string and then tie the 2 strings together.
- Check to make sure your button fits through the hole. Adjust now if needed.
- String all the beads onto the 12" string. Hemp can fray so twist slightly when stringing them on if the beads are snug. Tie off the end of the string so they don't slide off.
- Secure the strings down and start a forward knot. The straight string will be the 12" string. Take the long piece of hemp and create a number 4 over the straight string.
- Bring the long string under the straight string.
- Pull it through the loop.
- Tighten the knot as you slide it to the top of the bracelet. Hemp can be stiff so just work with it to get a nice knot.
- Repeat steps 5-8. As you do the long string will start working its way under the straight string. Move it over to the left side at any time and keep making your knots.
- After 5 knots slide up a bead.
- Then create 5 more knots.
- Continue the bracelet, checking from time to time the length of your wrist. Keep in mind you will have the button at the end so leave a small section of hemp without knots.
- When you are happy with the length, string the button on the short piece of hemp.
- Tie off using the second string twice.
- Then bring both strings together for a final knot, pull tight, and trim off any extra hemp.
- Place the loop over the button to fasten your bracelet.
- We used all blue beads, but you can mix and match them any way you like!
More crafts for girls
- First Bracelet – If this pattern is a bit difficult, try this twisted bracelet instead.
- Candy Stripe Bracelet – A classic friendship bracelet
- Chevron Pattern – A unique 3D string bracelet
- Spiral Staircases – Another fun bracelet tutorial.
If you love easy friendship bracelet patterns, share them by pinning or sharing them on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for a hemp bracelet? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.