Learn how to make a hemp choker necklace with this video tutorial. Tweens, teens, and adults will love creating this hemp necklace. Use a basic knot to create this amazing necklace with beads. Then give them away as handmade gifts or wear them to school!
Hemp Choker Necklace
This hemp necklace tutorial is a fun pattern that uses beads. Watch the video or follow the step-by-step instructions to learn how to make one.
Necklaces are a great craft for kids of all ages. They are perfect for tweens because they can make their own and then give all the cute crafts to their friends.
This necklace design uses the square knot the whole way, which wrap around strategically placed beads.
The jewelry in this tutorial has a medium skill level. Once you have mastered it, try this flower bracelet for more of a challenge.
You can use this necklace craft in several ways.
- Give them to a good friend.
- Hang them from your backpacks
- Use them as colorful gift wrap ribbons.
- Pass them out as handmade Valentines.
- Make them at a sleepover.
- Create them during a summer road trip.
- Braid them as a summer camp activity.
- Make them during an elementary school class party
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Knots used in this hemp tutorial
To create this necklace you should be familiar with the square knot.
If you are not comfortable with this technique, head over to our basic friendship bracelet knots tutorials. There you will learn 5 of the basic bracelet knots including the backward knot and square knots.
No time to make this necklace with beads? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
Ways to secure hemp jewelry while you’re making them
To get really good results, you want to make sure that the bracelet is secure while you’re creating the knots. Here are a few ideas for securing your string.
- Use a binder clip to secure it to a flat surface.
- Place a pillow on your lap and safety pin the floss to the pillow.
- Clip the hemp onto a clipboard.
- Use masking tape to secure it to your work surface.
Hemp Necklace with Beads
Using hemp and square knots you can make cool hemp choker or necklace!
- Hemp 8 times the length of your neck plus a few inches for ends. (8x+)
- Thin hemp the length of your neck plus 6 inches for ends. (1x+)
- Beads - As many as you like.
- Something to secure your hemp while working. Clip board, safety pin, etc
- Measure out your hemp. You will have knotting hemp (8x+ the size of your neck) and your center hemp. (1x+ the size of your neck). Fold your knotting hemp in half. Leave an open loop then tie off with the center string.
- Make sure the button fits through the open loop. Adjust now if necessary.
- Before clipping down, hold the hemp up to your neck. Place the loop in the nape of your neck and pinch where the center (front) of your design will be. Secure the hemp down to your work surface and take note of where the front center of your design will land.
- Place your beads on the center string now. Then tie off the end so they don't slip off.
- Play around with what your spacing will look like so you know how much space you need to fill with knots before your first bead.
- Now start a square knot. Take the left string under the center and over the string on the right.
- Take the right string up across the center and through the loop created on the left.
- Pull both knotting strings slowly to close the knot. Keep the center string tight while sliding the knot up.
- Next, take the right string under center and over the left.
- Take the left string over the center and through the loop on the right.
- Pull tight and slide up the design.
- This finishes your first square knot. If you need more details on this knot see our full square knot tutorial before moving on.
- Continue making square knots until you reach the point you want to slide up the first bead. Keep in mind the center of your necklace position (ours is near the end of this clipboard).
- When adding the knot after the bead, make sure to pull and tug the knot so that the hemp on either side of the bead is as tight as possible.
- Do at least one full square knot before adding the second bead.
- We created 2 square knots before adding on our second bead.
- Then 2 more square knots and then the center bead.
- Repeat the spacing you decided upon to work your way past the center of your hemp necklace so the sides match.
- Keep adding on square knots folding in half occasionally until the necklace is symmetrical (or close). You could count knots to be exact, but I find that unnecessary.
- Slide the button on the center string. Give it a quick fitting to see how loose or tight to make the button on the back. This is important if you want that choker-style necklace.
- Then gather together all 3 strings of hemp.
- Tie them all in one knot.
- Pull that knot tight! This will be what holds your button on.
- Trim off extra hemp. There may be a good amount, but it is hard to work with small pieces of hemp to get your knots tight.
- Loop the button through to see your completed necklace!
More crafts for girls
- Hemp Bracelet – Make this classic spiral bracelet
- First Bracelet – If this pattern is a bit difficult, try this twisted bracelet instead.
- Candy Stripe Bracelet – A classic friendship bracelet
If you love the easy necklace pattern, share them by pinning or sharing them on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for a hemp choker necklace? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.