This easy tiger bookmark is a fun animal craft for kids to make. Since 2022 is the year of the tiger, we thought we would make something that kids can use all year long!
We love an easy craft that sneaks important skill-building. Create this simple tiger craft with your classroom or at your kitchen table.
We love to create bookmark crafts. Kids can use them while reading their favorite books or give them as gifts they can be proud of.
This tutorial will teach your children how to draw tiger stripes. They really are not very difficult. Just follow the step-by-step instructions below.
You can use this easy tiger activity in several ways.
- Instead of bookmarks, create borders for your classroom bulletin board.
- Have kids finish a tiger stripe for each book that they read, making it a unique book log.
- Hang them in your classroom!
- Give them as gifts
- Create them at your local library to go with some fun tiger books.
- Make them during a Chinese New Year party
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Our Favorite Craft Supplies.
These craft supplies are perfect for crafting with young kids. While not each of them is used in the craft below, they are all staples in our craft bin. If you don’t have any on hand, that might be ok. Take a look at the craft first to see whether or not you need them.
- Construction Paper – One of our favorite craft supplies. These crafts are a great way to use up that stash of black paper.
- Pipe Cleaners – This versatile craft supply holds its shape so it’s fun to play with afterward.
- Craft Sticks or popsicle sticks – A classic staple, use them in your craft or to mix paint.
- Kid-Friendly paint – Kids love to get messy! Check out our favorite tips for painting with young children.
- Googly Eyes – You can literally add them to any project and it instantly becomes cuter.
- Tissue Paper – We always have this on hand. Buy it new or use or save it from birthday parties and holidays.
- Toilet Paper/Paper Towel Rolls – A great way to recycle your paper tubes is to use them in crafts!
- Paper Plate – Grab this party supply to create fun crafts.
- Contact Paper – We use this a lot to create suncatcher crafts
No time to make this tiger bookmark? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
Tips for creating this animal craft:
These tiger stripes are very simple. But here are some tips to help you along the way.
- When cutting the strips to be 8.5″ long you can get 7 bookmarks from one sheet of standard card stock.
- To speed up this craft, try to pre-cut your paper strips.
- Let the kids experiment with large and small stripes. How many can they fit when the stripes are big? How many can they fit when the stripes are small?
- You could skip the colored pencil part and just draw the stripes onto orange cardstock.
- White Card Stock
- Scratch Paper
- Black Marker
- Orange Colored Pencil
- Cut off an 8.5"x 1.5" strip from the end of the white card stock.
- Use the lightest pressure possible color down the center of the paper strip with the orange colored pencil. Leave a bit of white along the edge.
- Go back down the center of the bookmark with a little heavier pressure, leaving a bit of the lightest orange on the edge.
- Repeat a third time with even more pressure in the middle of the orange. Stacking the layers will build up the value of the orange making it brighter and brighter towards the center.
- Go along the edges of the center playing with the pressure until you like the different values of orange on your bookmark.
- To draw tiger stripes, create black lines from the center of your bookmark out to the edge of the paper. Use scratch paper so you can go all the way off the edges. These lines can be about an inch apart (no need to measure).
- Go down the opposite side of the paper adding black lines to that edge in between each of your first stripes.
- Turn the paper so you are working towards the edge of the paper. Create a wavy line starting on the center tip and ending to the left of your straight line.
- Then, starting at the tip again, repeat, but draw to the right of the straight line.
- This will create a wavy-edged triangle. Fill in with the black marker.
- Repeat this all the way up one side of your bookmark.
- Last, go up the opposite side creating the rest of your stripes.
- You will be able to make multiple bookmarks from one sheet of paper.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More preschool crafts you will love!
If you loved this cute tiger craft, you’ll love these other ideas.
- Pig – A friendly 3D paper pig craft
- Turkey – Quill a cute turkey using this kid-friendly technique.
- Basic Shape Crafts – use more shapes to create fun classroom crafts.
If you loved this easy bookmark craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for a tiger bookmark? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.