This fun Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly activity is a great way to show the kids how they can easily upcycle things that might just be lying around the home. Plus, butterflies are so much fun to make! With just a few simple supplies and a free printable template, your little ones can have a craft that they’re going to love showing off.
Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly
Plus, we all probably have an abundance of toilet paper rolls to discard of so why not turn them into something fun for the kids?
What I love about this fun craft is that the kids can easily start and do this on their own. Like most construction paper crafts, it’s great for their imagination and also teaches how to follow instructions, fine motor skills, and more.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this butterfly craft now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this butterfly craft now, pin it to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making this toilet paper tube craft:
- Let your child be as hands-on as possible. Be there for them but let them run the show.
- Switch up the color choices and do this craft over and over again!
- Most of all – have fun! As long as they’re engaged and being creative, there’s nothing to stress about.
How to make a butterfly out of a toilet paper roll
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this easy craft project. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
- 1 clean cardboard tube, like a toilet paper tube (per project)
- 2 wiggly eyes
- 1 black pipe cleaner
- Printable Butterfly template
- Construction Paper
- Clear tape
- Print the butterfly template and use it to trace pieces of construction paper. Let your child cut out each of the pieces.
- Cut another sheet of paper to fit the cardboard tube, approximately 4 inches by 6 inches. Glue the paper to the cardboard tube.
- Glue the wings to the back of the paper tube.
- Let your child decorate the wings.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in half. Then, bend one half in the middle. Wrap the ends around a pencil to create curls.
- Attach the center of the pipe cleaner to the inside of the tube with clear tape.
- Add a couple of wiggly eyes. (if you don't have wiggly eyes, let your child draw on eyes!)
- Allow the craft to dry completely before playing or displaying.
Making butterflies with construction paper
So you’ve made this adorable paper craft. Now what?
- Hang them in your classroom.
- Create them with your Sunday school class for Easter.
- Gift them to loved ones this spring.
- Let your child play with them!
More summer crafts you will love!
- A flower aluminum foil craft idea for kids – A fun and different way to create flowers.
- Fidget Spinner Art ~ Watercolor circles – Great for creativity and imagination.
- How to make Angry Birds painted rocks – Because this is just fun and has to happen!
If you loved this butterfly craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like these toilet paper roll butterflies? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.