Learn how to make a hemp square knot bracelet with this video and tutorial. Tweens, teens, and adults will love creating this hemp bracelet. Use a basic knot to create this amazing bracelet with beads. Then give them away as handmade gifts or wear them to school!
Square Knot Bracelet
This hemp bracelet tutorial is a fun pattern that uses beads. Watch the video or follow the step-by-step instructions to learn how to make one.
Friendship bracelets are a great craft for kids of all ages. They are perfect for tweens because they can make their own and then give all the cute crafts to their friends.
This design uses the square knot the whole way. The knots wrap around strategically placed beads.
The jewelry in this tutorial has a medium skill level. Once you have mastered it, try this flower bracelet for more of a challenge.
You can use this bracelet craft in several ways.
- Give them to a good friend.
- Hang them from your backpacks
- Use them as gift wrap ribbons.
- Pass them out as handmade Valentines.
- Make them at a sleepover.
- Create them during a summer road trip.
- Braid them as a summer camp activity.
- Make them during an elementary school class party
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Knots used in this hemp tutorial
To create this necklace you should be familiar with the square knot.
If you are not comfortable with this technique, head over to our basic friendship bracelet knots tutorials. There you will learn 5 of the basic bracelet knots including the backward knot and square knots.
No time to make this bracelet with beads? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
Ways to secure hemp jewelry while you’re making them
To get really good results, you want to make sure that the bracelet is secure while you’re creating the knots. Here are a few ideas for securing your string.
- Use a binder clip to secure it to a flat surface.
- Place a pillow on your lap and safety pin the floss to the pillow.
- Clip the hemp onto a clipboard.
- Use masking tape to secure it to your work surface.
- Thin Hemp - 12" for center string
- Knotting Hemp - 8x of wrist + a few inches. (8x+)
- Clipboard or Safety Pin to hold your project while working.
- Take the knotting hemp and fold it in half leaving a loop at the top. Tie off with the center string.
- Make sure the loop is big enough for the button to slide through. Adjust now if needed.
- Put all of the beads onto the center string.
- Tie off the center string so they don't fall off while you're working.
- Using the knotting hemp, start creating square knots. Take the left string under the center and over the string on the right.
- Take the string on the right, up and through the loop created on the left.
- Pull the side strings while holding the center string in place. work the knot to the top of the center string.
- To complete the square knot, take the string on the right under the center then over the string on the left.
Then pull the left string through the loop on the right.
We will only be using the square knot in this bracelet. If you need more instruction for the square knot head to our square knot tutorial.
- Once you have created a few square knots, slide up the first bead. When making the first knot after the bead, make sure to pull the side strings tight to help hold the bead in place.
- Continue making square knots and beads, make sure to keep the number of knots between each bead even if you want to create a center for your design.
- Check the length of your bracelet, and make sure to leave space for the button.
- When you are happy with the length, slide the button on the center string and pull all 3 strings together.
- Tie off the 3 strings and pull the knot as close to your button as needed. Pull the knot nice and tight.
- Trim off any extra hemp.
- Try on your bracelet!
You will have extra hemp when you are finished. I like to have enough to manuver my knots. Once you get your bracelet size down you can adjust the length of hemp you use to your preference.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More crafts for girls
- Spiral Hemp Bracelet – Make this classic spiral bracelet
- First Bracelet – If this pattern is a bit difficult, try this twisted bracelet instead.
- Candy Stripe Bracelet – A classic friendship bracelet
If you love the easy hemp bracelet pattern, share them by pinning or sharing them on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for a square knot bracelet? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.