Learn how to make t-shirt yarn with this video tutorial. Tweens, teens, and adults will love creating this easy-to-make recycled craft supply. Use your yarn to create unique projects like bracelets, home decor, school supplies, or gifts.
This t shirt yarn tutorial is a fun craft that uses old t-shirts to create yards of fabric yarn. Watch the video or follow the step-by-step instructions to learn how to make this versatile craft supply.
Do you have a pile of old t-shirts lying around your home? Some may be a bit faded. Others have been outgrown.
This craft takes those used shirts and recycles them into fantastic yarn.
You can use any color of shirt and various fabrics. In our tutorial, I took an old t-shirt of my teenage son and turned it into continuous t-shirt yarn.
You can use this upcycled craft in several ways.
- Create friendship bracelets
- Use it in a spooky web wreath.
- Make a colorful pen holder.
- Create a fun dog toy.
- Design a unique rag rug.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this fabric yarn? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
Tips for a successful ball of yarn
- T-shirts without vinyl are best. The texture can cause your yarn to be inconsistent.
- Experiment with different types of t-shirts. Softer versus stiff fabric will have varying results.
- Don’t worry about the side seams, you can cut right through them.
- If you are going to make a lot of yarn, you will want to invest in a quality rotary cutter.
- Fabric Cutter - Scissors can be used.
- Sharp Scissors
- Cutting surface
- Start by placing your t-shirt down on a cutting mat. Cut a stright line along the bottom edge to remove the bottom hem of the shirt.
- Start cutting 1" strips, but stop about .5" from the far side.
- Continue to cut the 1" strips until you reach the armpit of the shirt. Then cut all the way through to remove the top of the shirt.
- Arrange the shirt so the side of the shirt that remained attached is in front of you. You will have strips going to the left and to the right.
- On the first strip, make a diagonal cut from just below the right strip to the top of the left strip.
- Move to the next strip and cut, diagonally, from the bottom of the right side to the top of the left side.
- Continue cutting between the strips to extend your strip of fabric.
- Once you reach the top. The last cut should go from the strip on the right to the top.
- Working in sections, pull the t-shirt yarn and release. This will cause it to coil a bit making it feel more like yarn.
- Keep working in small sections until you reach the other end.
- Then wrap it up like a ball of yarn and save it for your next t-shirt yarn craft!
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More crafts for tweens
- Candy Stripe Bracelet – A classic friendship bracelet
- Poured Painted Rocks – Perfect for creating kindness rocks.
If you love this easy t-shirt upcycle idea, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for how to make t-shirt yarn? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.