Create this fun and colorful recycled pencil holder using a plastic bottle and t-shirt yarn. Kids can give them as gifts or use them on their own desks.
Recycled Pencil Holder
Every once in a while, like almost every day, it rains here in Florida. That being said I’m often finding myself looking for something to do to keep the kids busy inside.
Buying a lot of crafting kits in the store can end up being very expensive. So I started looking through some really old crafting books, from like 1971 old. There were some unique ideas, but most of them were pretty dated.
This recycled pencil holder craft caught my attention. After a few tweaks, I was able to create one with J.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this plastic bottle pencil holder now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this plastic bottle pencil holder now, pin it to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making a DIY pencil holder using a plastic bottle.
- Make sure you choose a plastic bottle that is thin. A heavy-duty bottle will make this project pretty difficult.
- Toss a basket of old t-shirts at your child and let them choose the colors.
- It might be fun to incorporate some of your child’s favorite shirts, giving the pencil holder some additional value.
How to make a pencil holder with a bottle
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this recycled pencil holder. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
- Empty water bottle
- T-Shirt Yarn
- Start by carefully cutting down the side of your bottle. Leave about an inch at the bottom uncut. You want to end up with an odd number of strips.
- Tie off the end of your yarn and tuck it near the bottom of one of your cuts.
- Begin to weave in and out in and out around and around.
- Every few layers pushed down to tighten together.
- Keep going around the bottle. Switch colors as often as you want.
- Once you get about a half-inch from the top of the bottle, stop and tuck the end of the string down inside the bottle and through a couple of loops.
- Tuck the tabs into the t-shirt yarn to create an even top.
Tucking the top of the bottle may be a bit tricky for younger kids. Adult help may be needed.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More kids craft projects you will love!
- Number Rocks – A fun rock painting idea.
- Press Painted Apples – Let your kids create these unique apples and then string them in your classroom or playroom.
- Twisted Friendship Bracelets – In only 2 minutes, your kids can make a fun friendship bracelet.
If you loved this recycled pencil holder craft, share it by pinning or sharing it on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this recycled craft? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.