This blue color day art and craft idea is perfect for a preschool class. Let your students experiment with a fun art medium while learning about the color blue or the square shape.
Blue Color Day Art and Craft Idea
When you’re teaching the basic colors and shapes to preschool-aged kids. You want to keep the activities simple and fun.
Instead of doing crafts with rainbow colors, try doing a craft with just one color. This blue color day art and craft idea is perfect for teaching about the color blue and about the square shape.
If you’re throwing a blue day party, pair this art project with some fun blue snacks for a day your kids won’t forget!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make these square shape crafts for preschoolers now? Pin it for later!
If you’re just in the planning stages, no worries! Pin these square shape crafts for preschoolers to your favorite board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making primary colors square art.
- For younger children, you can pre-cut the squares so they only have to focus on the art project itself.
- Older children may be able to hold down the square while pulling the colors. Younger children will benefit from a little roll of painter’s tape.
- When cutting out your squares use thicker paper. This will help them keep their shape.
- You can use the paper squares multiple times.
- There are lots of smudging tools you can pick from. Cotton swabs, cotton balls, makeup pads, or even fingers. (this is messier, but fun)
Grab our simple color and shape dice for another fun way to learn.
Color blue crafts for preschoolers
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating these color blue crafts for preschoolers. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
Blue Pastel Squares
- 2 Pieces Paper
- Paper Cutter
- Smudging Tool
- painters tape optional
- Start by cutting one piece of paper into as many squares as you like.
- Place a stripe of your pastel along the edge of one of your cut out squares.
- Use a smudging tool to pull the color onto your second sheet of white paper. You can secure your square with a bit of painters tape or hold with your finger.
- You can also use multiple colors on the same square.
- Remove the square to reveal your blue square design!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More oil pastel art for kids you will love!
- Pastel Rainbow Hearts – Create colorful hearts with this fun art project.
- Soft Pastel Transfers – Kids trace fun shapes to create beautiful crafts.
- Resist Painting – With a fun twist!
More than just teaching the color blue to preschoolers
This art project may seem simple on the outside, but it’s quite perfect for a room full of 4-year-olds. Check out these ways to use this craft in your classroom, daycare, or kitchen table.
- Talk about squares! Don’t focus on the blue. Or make it red instead. This craft can help your child talk about this basic shape.
- Decorate your bulletin board with this colorful craft.
- What other shapes does your child like? You could make a red triangle, orange circle, or yellow star.
- Create an array of different colors and shapes and then frame them to decorate a child’s playroom.
- Use this craft during your blue day activities.
If you loved these blue day activities for preschool, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this blue color day art and craft idea? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.
Ideas for a blue day celebration in preschool - Twitchetts
Thursday 5th of March 2020
[…] Kids love creating. This simple art project is perfect for your blue day. Plus, it’s easy for a large group of kids to all work on at once. Check out the tutorial for this simple blue day art and craft. […]
6 blue snacks for preschool - Twitchetts
Tuesday 10th of December 2019
[…] Blue Pastel Square – Combine learning about the color blue with a fun preschool art project! […]