We were inspired by the artist Wassily Kandinsky to make these beautiful paper Kandinsky circle flowers. This simple rainbow craft is perfect for building scissor skills and learning about a famous artist.
Kandinsky Art For Kids
We love this papercraft because it involves all sorts of skills – from cutting to folding and gluing, kids will get to work on their fine motor skills and is a basic shape craft.
Kandinsky art for kids can be created using all sorts of art supplies. We’ve seen oil pastels, chalk pastels, paints, tissue paper, and more!
This variation of Kandinsky-inspired circle art is much easier and less messy because it uses paper.
It gives art teachers a great opportunity to teach about the Russian painter, Wassily Kandinsky who was the father of abstract art.
Using construction paper makes it great for 4-year-olds and older children alike and your young artists will love displaying their works of art.
Rainbow crafts are perfect any time of year. This construction paper craft creates a fun 3D effect by folding the petals just slightly.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this rainbow flower craft? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in the middle of planning craft time, save this pin and come back to it when you’re ready to create. That way you’ll be able to grab all the fun crafts when you’re ready!
Why do we love crafting with construction paper?
Why do we love paper crafts? Because they secretly teach so many important skills for kids.
- Hand-eye coordination
- Fine motor skills
- Cutting practice
- Following instructions
- and more!
If you’re looking for more ways to inspire your kids, check out our construction paper book!
Tips for making these circle flowers
- If you are crunched for time, you could cut the circles ahead of time and let your child cut the petals, and glue the layers together.
- Instead of making rainbow flowers, let your kids pick out different colors or alternate between two colors.
- Try using different shapes. How does this project look with square flowers or triangles? Let your kids experiment.
- When bending the flowers, it helps to hold the center of the circle. If little fingers can’t make this work, you might try holding it for your child as they bend the paper.
How to make beautiful Kandinsky Inspired Rainbow Flowers
These rainbow flowers are inspired by the painter Wassily Kandinsky, this construction paper craft is perfect for young children.
- Construction Paper (One sheet for each color of the rainbow)
- White Cardstock
- White Glue
- Start with the purple paper and cut the first circle freehand. Then cut little slits to form the petals.
- Glue the purple circle on top of the blue paper using a glue stick. Cut the blue paper into a circle, leaving enough space to cut petals in the blue paper. Repeat this step of gluing and cutting the remaining papers in order to form a rainbow: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.
- After you’re finished, make a second flower in the same way, only with reversed colors. This time, make the smallest circle red and the largest purple.
- Fold petals a little bit to add dimension. Hold the center of the flower to make folding easier.
- Pick a button and, using white glue, glue it in the center of the flower.
- Cut green paper strips for stems. Glue the stems onto white paper along with the rainbow paper flowers to finish this simple paper flower craft for kids.
How to use this Kandinsky craft.
paper crafts are great for all kinds of occasions!
- Teach children about famous artists
- Teach about geometric shapes.
- Learning about the colors of the rainbow.
- Create them to decorate your classroom.
- Make them at a birthday party as an inexpensive party activity.
- Glue them onto the front of a card for Mother’s Day.
More rainbow crafts you will love!
- Rainbow String Art – Grab some paints and create these unique pieces of art.
- 3D Paper Heart Mobile – Hang these in your classroom or playroom!
- Rainbow Paper Flowers – One of our most popular posts! These pair well with the Kandinsky circles!
If you loved this Kandinsky-inspired project, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for Kandinsky art for kids? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.
How to Make a Beautiful Night Sky Scape –
Monday 24th of August 2020
Six Ways to Make Beautiful Moon Pictures –
Sunday 23rd of August 2020
Five Ways to Make Beautiful Moon Pictures –
Sunday 23rd of August 2020
9 Art and Craft Ideas to Make Beautiful Flowers –
Tuesday 18th of August 2020