I found this handwritten recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce in my grandma’s recipe collection. Now it hangs on my refrigerator because it’s my go-to sauce for pasta in our house.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Back when we first started eating clean, I thought it might be a good idea to try my hand at making homemade spaghetti sauce from scratch.
You know, buy a ton of tomatoes, cook them, simmer everything on the stove for hours, and then use the batch for several rounds of spaghetti….Yeah, that NEVER happened. Even after I mastered my Oatmeal meatballs, I never made time for that sauce.
At this year’s garage sale, I sold an old recipe cardholder. As I was flipping through it, I found a few recipe cards that I had shoved in it…probably about 15 years ago. One of which was for Spaghetti Seasoning Mix. It was written, for me, by my grandma. I knew I had to try it.
If you have any leftovers, check out this collection of leftover spaghetti sauce recipes.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this spaghetti sauce recipe now? Pin it for later!
If you’re still in the meal planning stage, don’t worry! Pin this spaghetti sauce recipe to your favorite board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making this simple pasta sauce
I make this meal on a semi-weekly basis, so I’ve pretty much mastered it. Here are a few tips to get it right every time.
- If you are making your sauce with ground beef, cook and drain the beef first and then mix all the ingredients right in with the cooked meat.
- Save time by measuring all of your seasonings together ahead of time.
- To help get the tomato paste mixed in well, I add it first. That way it gets mixed a bit further every time you add an ingredient.
- Add the cooked sauce to a batch of al dente noodles and let them sit together to really get the flavor into the noodles.
- You can easily tweak this recipe to match your family’s tastes. Sometimes I hide extra veggies, sometimes I mix in some extra seasonings. It’s easy to make it your own.
Pour this pasta sauce over meatballs
or add it to cooked ground beef.
If you want to make this sauce even easier, you can take 5 minutes and make a batch of the seasoning mix. Measure 1/3 Cup of seasoning mix each time you make your sauce.
How to make easy spaghetti sauce seasoning mix
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating homemade spaghetti sauce. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
- 1 Tbs Dry Parsley
- 1 Tbs Cornstarch (make sure it’s GMO free!)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 can Tomato Sauce (15oz)
- 1 can Tomato Paste (6oz)
- 2 2/3 Cups Water
- Mix all your dry ingredients together.
- Pour the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water into a pot. Mix well.
- Sprinkle your seasoning mix on top of the tomato sauce.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Let it continue to simmer for about 30 minutes.
More easy dinner recipes you will love!
- No-Fail Pizza Crust – If pizza night is a regular in your house, you don’t want to miss this one!
- Cheater Chicken Fried Rice – It doesn’t get much easier than this. And the whole family will love it.
- Oatmeal Meatballs – Super easy and a perfect pair for this sauce!
If you loved this easy recipe, share it by pinning or sharing it on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this homemade spaghetti sauce? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest.