This Monster themed birthday party is full of simple DIY decorations, easy food ideas, and a smash cake that has no artificial colors. Light on effort, big on memories and fun.
Monster Themed Birthday Party
My son turned One! His nickname is Mr. Monster, so what better way to celebrate than with a monster-themed birthday party?
This was the first party that I threw while being a mom of Two Under Two. Which made it a bit more stressful than usual, since I literally had 2 small children trying to crawl up my legs.
But with a small bit of crafting and planning, this party made the memory books.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Save this 1st birthday party idea for later!
Are you just at the beginning of your planning stages? Pin these ideas to your party planning board so that you can come back to them when you’re ready!
Tips for a fantastic first birthday party
Kids’ parties are all about creating memories. It’s easy to get distracted by the Pinterest perfections. But really there are just a few simple things you need to remember to plan an amazing party.
- 1st birthday party food. Since you’re catering to both adults and kids, you want to make sure the food is kid-friendly, yet filling enough for all the adults.
- Party Decorations. I like to add something to the front of the house, to help catch our guest’s attention.
- Fun activity. The main event at a first birthday party is the smash cake. This was my son’s first time eating cake and probably the best smash cake I’ve ever witnessed. For party guests, find a cute monster craft for everyone to work on!
- A little something extra. Whether it’s a unique party favor or a simple decoration, find that something that pulls it all together.
Monster themed first birthday food.
Choose the food that the birthday boy will love. My son LOVES hamburgers. So we had a simple burger meal.
- A simple salad with berries
- Pasta salad
- Quinoa salad (I know, most kids won’t go for this, but my kids LOVE quinoa.)
- An assortment of simple fruits and veggies that kids and adults love.
The birthday boy gets a smash cake. But I made mini monster cupcakes for the rest of the guests.
Little monster birthday decorations
Since I was taking care of two little kids, I wanted simple decorations. I chose to create paper monsters to decorate the house.
I welcomed guests with a large paper monster. These giant paper monsters were super easy. Just cut a fun shape with legs, arms, or whatever you want. Add a smile with a sharpie and large googly eyes.
In the windows behind the food table, I hung two more monsters. I had made them double sided so that there were monsters in the windows as people walked in. In hind sight, I should have either made them one-sided or doubled the thickness. The sun made them a bit see-through and you could see the face on the other side.
I made mini monsters for the high chair. I found some crazy ribbon at a local craft store.
Monster themed 1st birthday party activities
The smash cake is usually the main attraction at a 1st birthday party. A lot of parents make their kids wait until they turn one to eat cake and sweets. So this first taste of dessert can be a lot of fun for the little one to eat.
I made her cake out of a box then decorated it with a grass frosting tip. Since I don’t like to use food dye on my kid’s cakes, I melted chocolate and used that to create a smile and eyes.
I will say that this smash cake was the cutest one I have ever watched. My son went for it! He was a mess. A happy sticky mess.
If you have a lot of kids attending your party, you may want to add a fun craft to keep them entertained. These monster painted rocks are super fun to make. Or bust out a stash of construction paper scraps and let them make silly monster puppets.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!Join Here!
More birthday party ideas you will love!
- Elegant 1st birthday – Plan a lovely party for your little lady.
- PJ Masks Party Ideas – From a fun game to amazing and easy costumes!
- Farm Animal Birthday Party – What little kid doesn’t love farm animals! This party is perfect for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, birthday!
If you loved these monster party ideas, share them by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple ideas for kids. Know a friend who’d like this monster themed birthday party? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite party board on Pinterest.