Create this adorable fingerprint ant craft for preschool aged kids to make. This craft starts with a simple construction paper picnic blanket and then we add cute ants with your child’s fingerprints. It’s a simple and fun spring craft.
Ant Craft for Preschool
We love an easy craft that sneaks important skill-building. Create this simple ant craft with your classroom or at your kitchen table.
But there are also bugs! Cute and fun bugs, like ants.
This ant craft is perfect for preschool-aged kids. They place their fingerprints strategically onto a construction paper picnic blanket for an adorable activity.
Another great thing about this simple craft, is that it sneaks in cutting practice and fine motor skills.
Plus, these ant activities use simple craft supplies, like construction paper and paint.
You can use this easy fingerprint craft in several ways.
- Instead of a regular sheet of paper, create borders for your classroom bulletin board.
- Have kids finish an ant for each book that they read, making it a unique book log.
- Hang them in your classroom!
- Give them as gifts
- Create them at your local library to go with some fun ant books.
- Make them on card covers for a spring kindness card.
- Use this craft during an insect-themed lesson plan.
- Align the ants together in the shape of the letter “A” for a fun alphabet craft.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Our Favorite Craft Supplies.
These craft supplies are perfect for crafting with young kids. While not each of them is used in the craft below, they are all staples in our craft bin. If you don’t have any on hand, that might be ok. Take a look at the craft first to see whether or not you need them.
- Construction Paper – One of our favorite craft supplies. These crafts are a great way to use up that stash of black paper.
- Pipe Cleaners – This versatile craft supply holds its shape so it’s fun to play with afterward.
- Craft Sticks or popsicle sticks – A classic staple, use them in your craft or to mix paint.
- Kid-Friendly paint – Kids love to get messy! Check out our favorite tips for painting with young children.
- Googly Eyes – You can literally add them to any project and it instantly becomes cuter.
- Tissue Paper – We always have this on hand. Buy it new or use or save it from birthday parties and holidays.
- Toilet Paper/Paper Towel Rolls – A great way to recycle your paper tubes is to use them in crafts!
- Paper Plate – Grab this party supply to create fun crafts.
- Contact Paper – We use this a lot to create suncatcher crafts
- Pom Poms – These fuzzy balls can be used in so many crafts!
No time to make this fingerprint ant? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in planning mode, that’s ok! Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. That way you’ll be able to grab instructions when you’re ready!
Tips for creating this bug craft:
These ants are very simple. But here are some tips to help you along the way.
- If you want to avoid fingers you could use something to stamp the bodies of the ants instead.
- To speed up this craft, you can cut the paper strips ahead of time.
- Tape your paint pallet to the table to help with messes.
- Paper- White, Red, & Pink.
- Black Paint.
- Glue Stick
- Paper Cutter
- Black Marker or Pen
- Cut the pink paper into 1" strips and then cut 1, 1" strip of the red paper.
- Use the glue stick to place 3 strips of pink horizontally on the white paper. Try to space them evenly apart.
- Next, glue the pink strips to make vertical stripes. This should create white squares on your paper.
- Cut the red strip of paper into 1" squares.
- Then glue the red squares at any place that the pink lines intersect.
- Trim off the edges anywhere the pink goes off the page.
- Using a black pen or marker, create ant legs on your picnic check.
- Then, using black paint, place fingerprint dots of paint on each set of legs. Then place one fingerprint above and one fingerprint below the first dot to create your ant's body.
- Place as many ants as you like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More preschool crafts you will love!
If you loved this cute ant craft, you’ll love these other ideas.
- Paper Ladybug – A simple craft that kids will love to make.
- Pig – A friendly 3D paper pig craft
- Turkey – Quill a cute turkey using this kid-friendly technique.
If you loved this easy spring craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for an ant craft for preschool? Please share this tutorial on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.