3D Rainbow Art that your kids are going to love! Not only does it take minimal setup, but you end up with such a fun piece of kid’s art! We will walk you through the step-by-step process of how to make a 3d rainbow out of paper. It’s much easier than you think. This art project is perfect for preschoolers!
3D Rainbow Art
We have had a new ongoing obsession with rainbow art in our house…
We are constantly singing the colors of the rainbow song over and over… and over.
We’ve made everything from Flowers to Spheres with rainbow construction paper.
When I saw this cute post from Teach Preschool I knew I needed to do something like it with V. She has an amazing tip for gluing with your little ones.
The only problem was V wanted to make a “real rainbow” she wanted that perfect arch.
Since creating a 3d paper rainbow can be challenging for a preschool craft, we tweaked it a bit. This 3D rainbow art project is designed to make it easier for her to accomplish the “perfect rainbow”.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this construction paper rainbow? Pin it for later!
If you’re currently in the middle of planning craft time, save this pin and come back to it when you’re ready to create. That way you’ll be able to grab all the fun crafts when you’re ready!
Why do we love crafting with construction paper?
Why do we love paper crafts for kids? Because they secretly teach so many important skills for kids.
- Fine motor skills
- Cutting practice
- Following instructions
- and more!
If you’re looking for more ways to inspire your kids, check out our construction paper book!
Tips for making this rainbow craft
- Make sure to check out the video to see how we trimmed the paper strips.
- Let your child play around with how they want to apply the glue stick. Some kids like to add the glue to the base, some kids prefer to add it to the paper strip. Both ways work!
- If you are crafting with a large group, you may want to cut all the paper first. Or you can grab our rainbow template to make it super easy!
- The key to making the paper stick is to hold it down for the appropriate amount of time. Have your kids sing a quick song or count to 10.
How to make a rainbow with construction paper
Check out the step-by-step instructions for creating 3D rainbow art.
- Paper Cutter (optional)
- Start by cutting a 1″ strip of each color the long length of the paper. Then line them up; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, starting with red on the bottom leaving about a 1″ gap between each color of the rainbow.
- Next, flip up the back end and trim off along the red edge. You should be cutting off the most purple, then blue, etc. You will not cut off any red.
- Now fold the whole end over to create a tab.
- Even out the other end and fold a tab there as well.
- Starting building your 3D rainbow art with purple, add glue to your tabs so they fold out from under your arch.
- Use Teach Preschool’s tip here to make sure to get a good bond! Continue this with each color.
- V switched halfway through to adding the glue to the paper then pressing her strips into the glue. Whichever way works best for your kiddo!
- Once you glue on your red strip you’re finished with your 3D rainbow craft!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to use this easy craft for kids
Rainbow are a great craft for kids. This construction paper craft is perfect for loads of situations.
- Summer Camps
- Use this craft in Sunday School or VBS to remember God’s promise.
- Create them in your preschool or kindergarten classroom to help teach about the colors of the rainbow.
- Make them at a birthday party as an inexpensive and interactive party gift. (our favorite kind!)
More rainbow crafts you will love!
- Rainbow Flower – another easy and colorful construction paper craft.
- Rainbow Bookmarks – kids will love creating and giving these bookmarks.
- Heart Mobiles – Hang this mobile in your classroom or playroom!
If you loved this paper craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for 3D Rainbow Art? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.
How to make a fun 3D paper Christmas tree craft with construction paper - Twitchetts
Thursday 31st of December 2020
[…] process behind creating this 3D paper Christmas tree was the same as we used for our 3D rainbow. Since all of our little ones (from 4-9) enjoyed putting that together we knew this 3D paper […]
How to make easy construction paper tulips - Twitchetts
Tuesday 5th of May 2020
The Ultimate List of Rainbow Crafts for Kids - Creative Family Fun
Wednesday 29th of January 2020
[…] Use construction paper to make this cool 3-D Rainbow Art from Twitchetts. […]
An easy Sunday school nativity craft - Twitchetts
Tuesday 3rd of December 2019
Fun At Home: 25 Construction Paper Crafts for Kids We Love
Thursday 31st of October 2019
[…] 3D Rainbow | Twitchetts Elementary-aged kids will get a kick out of making these rainbows! They’re […]