This easy Valentine’s Day rock painting idea is perfect for kids to make. Create them to gift to friends or make them with your friends during the Valentine’s Day party!
Valentine’s Day Rock Painting
Heart art is the go-to type of craft for kids to make this Valentine’s Day. And whether your kids are creating them as gifts to pass out at their class party or they are making them at their class party; this craft is loads of fun!
Plus, rock painting is a great way to inspire kids to get creative.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this heart painted rock now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this heart painted rock, pin it to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making this heart art.
- If you don’t have toothpicks, you can add the paint using the back of the paintbrush.
- Using a smaller surface keeps paint amounts and blending under control.
- These rocks can easily be personalized using a paint pen.
- This project can get messy! We recommend creating outdoors or in a space where the mess won’t be an issue.
How to make these Valentine’s Day painted rocks
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this heart rock painting idea. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
- Paint Brush
- Start by getting your rock wet. You want to wet the top and the sides so it is nice and saturated.
- Using a toothpick start adding your first color onto your rock. The color will run a bit. This is what you want.
- Next, add on your second color. Swirl the color on and around your first. They will begin to blend together a bit.
- At this point, you can be done or add a third color. we wanted to add a bit of pink!
- Allow the paint to dry, about 10 minutes. Then, use your brush to create hearts onto your rocks. For this, you can choose any color you like! If needed add a second solid coat.
- If you would like to protect your work make sure to use a clear coat sealer. Make sure your rock is completely dry before seeling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More Valentine’s Day projects you will love!
- Heart Suncatchers – Decorate windows with hearts using this easy tutorial.
- Heart Wands – 3D heart wands that kids can play with after they are finished creating.
- Bead My Valentine! – Print these free Valentine’s for your kid’s class party.
When to make heart rocks
Sometimes you see a craft and think, oh that’s cute! But then you don’t know when you will make it. Here are some ideas for this fun art project!
- Let your kids pass them out at their Valentine’s Day class party.
- Hide them around your city.
- Paint them during a holiday party.
- Gift them to grandparents, on Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day.
- Decorate a festive table.
- Send them to a local hospital to cheer someone up.
If you loved this rock painting craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this Valentine’s Day rock painting idea? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.