This easy paper turkey is a fun and cute Thanksgiving construction paper craft for kids!
Easy Paper Turkey
When thinking about our Thanksgiving turkey crafts this year I wanted to make sure to include something that could be done with younger kiddos.
This construction paper turkey is just that. Not too many steps, not too many supplies, and it doesn’t take too much time.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this quick construction paper turkey now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this turkey craft now, pin it to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making a turkey out of paper
- Having a paper cutter handy for this craft saves a lot of time.
- Cutting thin strips isn’t very easy for young kids. We recommend cutting them ahead of the craft.
- Let the kids mix and match the strips into sets of 3 alternating colors.
- Remind your kids to count to 10 while gluing. That gives the glue a chance to set before they let go.
Check out our collection of Thanksgiving printables!
How to make a paper turkey
Below is our step by step tutorial for how to make a paper turkey. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
Easy paper turkey craft
Create this easy paper turkey with your kids. It's a great craft for a Thanksgiving Day party.
- Start by prepping your strips. With each color, you will need 2 of each size strip: 1/4″, 1/2″, and 1″
- Let them mix and match the strips into sets of 3 alternating the colors. We only used 5 sets of strips, but they can glue them all together in case one doesn’t come out right.
- There are 2 ways you can have your child glue these together. I show both in the video.
First, try adding a dab of glue only at the end of the strip. Line up the next layer and repeat with the third.
Once, those dry they can lift up the layer and add glue to the rest of the strip. Having the secured edge helps them lay them down straight without too much difficulty.
In the second technique, they can just swipe their glue stick in a straight line, grab their next color, and place down. Which method you choose will depend on your child.
- When all your strips are prepared, create an arch shape on your paper and lay the layers face down.
- Next, glue the ends together creating a teardrop shape. Start on the outside and work your way to the center.
- Using your brown paper create a turkey body wide enough to cover the base of the tail.
- Add googly eyes, a beak, and a snood.
- Glue the turkey body to the bottom of the loops.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Thanksgiving crafts you will love!
- 3D Paper Turkey – Our most popular turkey craft!
- Turkey rocks – A rock craft that doesn’t use paint!
- Quilling Turkey – Introduce this fun technique with a kid-friendly craft.
When to make an easy turkey craft
Sometimes you see a craft and think, oh that’s cute! But then you don’t know when you will make it. Here are some ideas for this fun art project!
- These make a fun classroom craft!
- Use them to create festive place setting cards.
- Let your kids create them while they are waiting for dinner.
- Attach several onto a string and make a turkey garland.
If you loved this Thanksgiving turkey craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this easy paper turkey? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.