These rock painting ideas for kids are a great project for kids of all ages and skill levels. This craft style is perfect for making kindness rocks or for kids to get into rock hunting.
Rock Painting Ideas For Kids
Rock painting is all the rage. From rock hunting to just painting on rocks as a fun craft, everyone is getting into this entertaining and creative way to paint on nature.
With all the beautiful rock art floating around, we wanted to make sure that the littlest crafters don’t get left out. Some of the story rocks and intricate paintings are too much for kids to craft.
So we decided to search for some fun crafts that are perfect for the smallest rock hunters.
You might think that these rock projects are just for summertime, but they are perfect for any time of the year. Plus, they are a great craft for building fine motor skills.
Grab some paints, a handful of rocks, and your little ones, and let’s start stone painting!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
When to make painted rocks
While painting rocks is a great way for kids to express their creativity, you may want a specific reason to create them.
- Hide them around your neighborhood.
- Give them as kindness rocks.
- Use them to learn about a particular artist or technique.
- Give them as gifts to family members and friends
- Experiment with color mixing.
- Put them in a fun fairy garden
Our Favorite Rock Painting Supplies.
Having good supplies is essential in rock painting. While not each of these items is used in a craft below, they are all staples in our craft bin.
- Rocks – It may sound simple, but not everyone can grab rocks from nature (and there are a lot of places you shouldn’t remove rocks from.) Grab some smooth stones or another perfect rock for your art project.
- Acrylic Paints – This type of paint is not as safe on clothes, but it does work well on rocks.
- Paint Pens or paint markers – They may be more expensive, but they are the best for kids and beginners. Plus they have a great shelf life and are easy to clean up.
- Sealers – You don’t want to go through all the work of painting a rock and then forget to seal it!
Check out this more extensive list of the best rock painting supplies.
Pin this collection of rock crafts
Are you still brainstorming your crafting plans? No worries, just pin this to your favorite craft board so you can easily find these fun painted rocks
Other fun art ideas you may enjoy
You may enjoy some of these other easy crafts!
- Simple Rock Painting Ideas – Our sister site, Rock Painting 101, has lots of amazing rock painting tutorials.
- Flower Crafts
- Rainbow Crafts
Please share this collection of rock art ideas.
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit Twitchetts.
Know a friend who is looking for rock painting ideas for kids? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.