This simple and fun cross rock painting idea is perfect for kids. It’s a quick and easy craft that works great with lots of kids or just an afternoon at the kitchen table.
Cross Rock Painting Idea
We are once again heading into rock hunting & hiding season. So how about a new rock painting idea for your little ones to hide around town! We saw adorable heart rocks on Red Ted Art and decided to add a special cross to them to hide them around town. The little ones will love getting a little messy while creating these adorable rocks.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this art project now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this now, pin it to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making a fingerprint heart rock with kids
- Having the heart on the rock before adding the prints gives kids somewhere to aim. Plus it makes a cool outline effect.
- Depending on the age of the kid(s) you are working with you have a few options for drawing the heart. For older kids, they can draw them on themselves. Younger kids might need a cut out heart shape to trace. For your youngest you can draw on the heart for them.
- Because this craft is so simple, it’s great for large groups of kids. Think VBS, summer camp, or a Sunday School class
- If you are going to hide these rocks, you’ll want to make sure that they have a great seal on them. Check out these tips on how to seal painted rocks.
How to make this easy religious craft
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this cross rock painting idea. Feel free to print them for easy reference!
- Paint Brushes
- Start by using a paint pen to draw a heart shape onto your rock.
- Paint red onto one finger.
- Let them stamp the paint inside the heart.
- Set rock aside to dry.
- Once, your hearts are dry come back and add on your cross using a paint pen.
- Once they have had time to fully dry seal these with a clear coat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More rock painting ideas that kids will love!
- Fun Monster Rocks – They’re too cute to be spooky! These monster rocks are easy and fun for kids of all ages.
- Dyed Rocks – Did you know that you can dye rocks like Easter eggs? It’s a fun and simple way to create a base coat on your rocks.
- Dot Painting Rocks – Dotted rocks are not just for adults. Kids love creating patterns and designs with dots!
If you loved this craft for kids, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this cross rock painting idea? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.