This sun craft for preschoolers is perfect for a fun yellow day activity or summer craft. Grab your stash of construction paper, some scissors, and glue and you can make an easy 3D paper craft.
Sun craft for preschoolers
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this simple summer craft? Pin it for later!
If you’re just browsing for a yellow craft for kids, pin this to your kids’ crafts ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for making this summer craft for preschoolers.
- If you need to save time you could have the shapes drawn ahead of time for the children to cut.
- They can also cut multiple sheets at the same time or even be precut.
- This sun can be created in many different sizes by simply adjusting the circle and triangle sizes.
- If you want to display against a wall, finish your sun with a full circle instead of the second set of half circles.
How to make these 3D suns
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this simple summer craft. Feel free to print it for easy reference.
- A Circle Shape to Trace
- Glue Stick
- Fold each sheet of paper in half. Then trace a circle onto one side of your paper.
- Draw a triangle on the other side of the paper. Make sure to have the opening at the bottom of the paper.
- Cut out all of your circles and triangles.
- Fold one circle in half like a taco shell. Then add glue.
- Place the opposite color on top and fold to match the taco shape.
- Continue the pattern until you have used half, 6, of your circles.
- Then repeat. So you have 2 taco stacks.
- Place one stack to the side. Open one stack so the inside is facing up. Add in 4 triangles. One in each direction.
- Then place 4 more triangles, in the opposite color in between each.
- Place your string using glue.
- Then, using the matching triangle pieces, cover the string with glue and 2 triangles to secure in place.
- Now take your second stack of tacos to finish your sun.
- Fan it out and attach it with glue.
- LIft and fluff the backside of your sun before hanging.
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!Join Here!
More summer crafts for kids you will love!
- Giant paper sunflowers – Decorate your classroom with these fun paper flowers.
- Summer Checklist – Don’t miss any of the fun of summer break with this free printable.
- Summer Party – These fun party ideas are perfect for those dog days of summer or a special birthday.
When to make a yellow craft for kids
Sometimes you see a craft and think, oh that’s cute! But then you don’t know when you will make it. Here are some ideas for this fun art project!
- These yellow suns are perfect for a yellow day celebration.
- Use them to decorate for summer school.
- Bring a little cheer to a shut-in.
- Decorate a summer party.
- Use them in your VBS craft time.
- They make a fantastic playroom or classroom decoration.
If you loved this Summer craft, share it by pinning or sharing on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this yellow sun craft for preschoolers? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kid’s craft board on Pinterest.