Rainbow String painting is a fun process art project for kids that beautiful and unique works of art that your kids will be proud of.
Rainbow String Painting
Painting with string is a creative painting method that has been around since before we were born. I was skimming through a few of my Mother’s old art books and it was mentioned in almost all of them! (Not going to date our mom, but let’s just say it was pre-blogger days…).
I love a good process art project to do with the kids so we decided to give this one a try. I wanted to mix it up a bit, and since we have been on a rainbow crafts kick, it only seemed natural to do rainbow string painting.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
No time to make this art project now? Pin it for later!
If you can’t make this now, pin it to your art project ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips for thread painting success!
- Depending on the strength of the artist, you may want to grab a heavy book to help hold the paper in place as you pull the string.
- Encourage your child to experiment with pulling one end of the string, both ends of the string, or taking turns pulling a little from each side.
- This project makes a fantastic card for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, birthdays, and more!
- The possibilities are endless because, when you do string pull painting, no two lines will be alike! When you are finished you can tape the top and bottom pieces together to see your amazing works of art!
Here are just a few of our creations! The one V created above is in the top left-hand corner. The one on the top right is another she created all on her own.
How to paint with string
Below is our step by step tutorial for creating this rainbow string painting project. Feel free to print them for easy reference!
- Paper. We recommend card stock.
- Paint. For every color of the rainbow
- A large surface to add your paint
- A heavy book (optional)
- Start by adding a bead of each color, onto your large surface, so they are touching and forming a line.
- Lay your string across the paint and slightly twist so the paint covers all sides of the string.
- Lay the string across a piece of paper so the ends hang off the edges.
- Place a second piece of paper (the same size if possible) on top.
- Press down onto the paper as you pull the string back out.
- Note: you can use a heavy book to help hold the paper down.
- Remove the top paper to reveal the design.
- Repeat until you are happy with the project.
Play around with where you place the string on the paper and how you pull the string off the paper. It's amazing all the different effects that can be created!
Are you trying to inspire creativity in your kids? Sign up for the weekly Twitchetts newsletter to get that and more. Get access to free printables, special offers, and weekly crafts and activities that kids will love!
More rainbow projects you will love!
- Rainbow paper flowers – This project is one of our most popular! Create adorable paper flowers with circle-shaped construction paper.
- Fidget Spinner Rainbows – Dust off those fidget spinners that your kids had to have and use them to create a fun piece of rainbow art!
- Rainbow Heart Mobile – Perfect for decorating classrooms or playrooms. This 3D papercraft is super fun to create!
If you loved this process art project, share it by pinning or sharing it on Facebook.
We are thankful for every share! Each time someone shares our posts, our site grows and we are so thankful that we can continue to create unique and simple projects for kids. Know a friend who’d like this rainbow string painting project? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite art project board on Pinterest.